Friday, October 3, 2008

But I Don't Want to Leave!



Today was our last visit with Nikolai. I am going to miss him SO much. I have no idea why our agency says it is easier to make two trips and encourages people to do so. Leaving is hard! Living in Astana is easy.

Nik played for a long time on the swing again today. He was playing games with us – saying ah! and we would repeat it and he would laugh and say it again. He also was playing with me in the mirror; as soon as I would make eye contact in the mirror, he would look right at me, so I would look at him and then he would go back to the mirror. This went on for a while, accompanied by many giggles. The toys he liked weeks ago are now boring. He tried to use us as jungle gyms, but does not quite have the coordination to do so yet. He also tried to climb into the swing by himself. I think he gets frustrated that we try to help, but otherwise he would have fallen and the swing would have hit him in the head. At one point today he was heading for the pile of things he is not allowed to play with (my purse, plastic bag, camera) and we picked him up and turned a different direction. He basically spun on his belly all the way around and then started crying as he quickly pushed himself up into a crawl position! How can that not make him happy? He seems so unimpressed with his accomplishments.

When we left, they gave us the bottle we have been using during our visits. It is the one we bought and it has his name written in Kazakh on it. We left a blanket in his crib, so that when we come back to get him we can take something to remind him of the baby house. We left the crinkly book – which is one of his favorite toys, especially because it has a mirror in it. We also left the picture album my sister made for him – can you tell he likes it in the photo?

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Omgoodness... I can't imagine having to leave. Was there no way you could stay? will you both return or just one of you? HOw soon will you go back? It seems the cost of the RT tickets would be as much if not more than just staying... I could be worng.

I am sad for you, but sure the time will fly by.

Tracy

Unknown said...

He is finally yours!! We have truly enjoyed following along on your journey. Thank you for keeping us updated. I talked to your mom - she said they are picking you up on Sat - how weird! I wish Nik could be with you, but it won't be long now until he is. We love you guys!
Jenn, Eric, and Tyler

Baby Kaz Moore said...

Congratulations!!!! He's a cutie. I hope the time flies till he's at home. Best, Susan & Griffin