Thursday, September 25, 2008

Nikolai apparently slept better the past couple nights and he was in a good mood for our visits today and yesterday. Yesterday when I first picked him up he giggled, buried his head in my chest, and kicked both legs with excitement. He is definitely getting more snugly, although he still has to face outward if we are moving. I think he likes to see where he is going. He has been saying a variety of different sounds – ba ba, ma ma, bla bla, da da, ah, and of course the excitement screech. Today he crawled using both legs for the first time, rather than just the right leg and left toes. He was carrying two toys at the time, though, so he was down on his elbows.

We were told yesterday that he had been taken to the dentist, and the dentist thinks he will have to have surgery on his upper jaw at some point. Today they said the opposite – that the dentist saw a tiny cleft in his jaw that is not likely to need surgery. I think the difference is in the translation provided to us, not the actual decision. We just need to get him home and see what our American doctors think (and hear the explanation in English!). In looking in his mouth, we cannot see any problem. It is convenient that he opens his mouth so wide when excited – makes it easier to look.

We had lunch at the coffee house across the street today. The coffee was really good and strong. We each had a slice of pizza, which was served cold with soft cheese and pepperoni, tomatoes, and parsley. It was good, but not really very pizza-like. Chris was still hungry and ordered a second piece. This one came out hot! Very funny. The coffee place is also a bar. It has a nice atmosphere and I would like to get a drink there some night - as soon as I get over this cold. I know I probably should not be visiting the baby with a cold, but I am fairly certain I caught it from him and I am careful to clean my hands beforehand.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

It will be nice to get NIk home where you can actually understand what the Dentist is saying! I am glad he is getting so snuggly. I love holding a sleeping baby!

I can't wait to see your precious one.

Tracy

KazAdventurers said...

Oops. I typed a message and then it said "Blogger is experiencing a problem right now" when I tried to post. Hopefully it won't post it later and then this one, too!
I was just saying that it's great for you to be able to experience firsts (like the first crawl with both legs) with your little guy. It's always amazing to read about the development of the children in such a short period of time.
It's sweet that he's getting snuggly!
Hope you get over your cold very soon!

Lisa

Joby and Marla said...

I hope your cold is better.

I haven't told Joby about the court speech yet so I guess I had better let him know. Maybe I will wait until he is on the plane or after he meets our boy. I don't know he is going to be so nervous. Well, I have already told him about court & he has bought a new suit which is amazing for him.

What kind of questions do you go over before court?