Friday, September 19, 2008

Day 11

Our Apartment from Bayterek (closest building) and our grocery store (round building)


Curved wall between living room and kitchen.


Shower



I cannot believe we only have three more days of official bonding. The time goes so fast! Nikolai was very cute again today. We sort of have a routine going now where we play on the blanket for about 20 minutes and he practices crawling and sitting. At some point he gets fussy and from then on all playing, etc. must be done while being held. A new game we played today was “pass the baby” where we pass him back and forth between us. Each time he greets the new person with a big smile. It has been too cold to go outside for walks, but near the end of the visit he only wants to be carried around with occasional trips in the ball pit.

I have become fairly adjusted to life here, although I do not do any of the paying or talking. I think I would be more brave if I had to, but why use gestures when you are with someone who can actually speak Russian? I have learned to pick my feet up when I go between rooms and no longer stub my toes on the raised ledge between each room. I also generally remember that all light switches are on the outside of the rooms. Neither of us has tripped over the curved wall between the living room and kitchen and I now step over it without thinking. I am very amused at the dichotomy of having the most high-tech shower I have ever seen where water can come from the normal shower head, the ceiling, or the sides and yet living in a location where people regularly lose hot water or water completely. We have not had hot water for three days now. I could not face another cold shower today and heated some water on the stove and took a camping-style shower. We learned today that one of our neighbors has a key to the stairs, so if the power goes out we are to contact them. I think our landlady may also be trying to get a copy made. It was sunny today!

4 comments:

Tracy said...

Hey pretty nice place you have there! I hope the hot water comes on real soon. Great that the grocery store is across the street.

I can not believe you have almost finished the whole visitation time. that is wonderful.

Tracy

Joby and Marla said...

Cool apartment!!!!

So your boy is already walking... Does he have any favorite toys? Is there anything that you wish you had taken with you but didn't?

Time seems to be flying by on visitation. Is it really this way or just for us reading the blog?

Can't wait to see a picture of him!!!!!

Chris and Heather said...

Marla,
I did not mean to imply he can walk! LOL. I meant he wants to be carried around. Can't wait to see your little one too. I hope you travel soon.

Angela said...

Enjoy your time! It has flown by, hasn't it? Glad that everything is going well with Nik. Very nice apartment. I really looked at Astana when we drove through on Wednesday. I would love to go back and spend some time there some day.

Any word on court?