Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Suspended?


The JCICS posted yesterday morning that Kazakhstan was closed to adoptions from the US!! Luckily I did not see that post before I heard from our agency, who stated that the information could not be confirmed by any of their contacts at the consulate or in Kazakhstan. Apparently the Kazakh Ambassador to the US has made this statement to the US State Department, and has stopped accepting and processing dossiers submitted to the the embassy for review. According to our agency, the NY consulate does not know about this. So maybe NY is continuing to accept and process dossiers despite the JCICS statement? The JCICS website now lists adoptions as "temporarily suspended" rather than "closed", so that is an improvement, although supposedly the State Department will add this to their website soon as well.

The posts from our agency have been so encouraging that I did not worry too much about this at first, and even posted several times on Rumor Queen that I thought the info was wrong. Then I made the mistake of going to the JCICS website, and seeing it for myself in print made me sort of panic.

Our dossier is at the NY consulate, and has been for three weeks. Is it continuing to be processed? I don't know. I am NOT worried at all that adoptions will really stop and I am sure that the consulate and embassy will begin processing dossiers again. Still this could cause a delay. Either way, according to our agency the Kaz Consul is on vacation for two weeks, so it is likely that nothing is happening with our dossier for at least the next two weeks.

No comments: