Wednesday, June 10, 2009

First Archaeology Site Visit

This past weekend I took Nikolai to his first archaeology site. One of the sites we are working on had a public day on Saturday where anyone could come and tour the site. It is not an excavation I am personally involved with, but it is for a client I work for a lot. The excavation was in the yard area of a stone building that had been built ca. 1760 and called the Market Master’s house. You can read more about the excavation here http://www.bladenarch.blogspot.com/
Nikolai was a little unsure about where I had brought him at first, probably in part because several excited coworkers and our client came up to us right away to meet him. Our client also had her 1-year old son there, so that was fun. She offered to let Nik sit in a test unit for a photo, but I opted for outside of the unit. I tried to get Nik interested in helping screen at the public screening station (i.e., play in the dirt) but he was a little unsure why I was encouraging this. He really liked the metal conglomerate that Tara showed him, though.
One of my coworkers (who Nik had actually met before) showing Nikolai a test unit

Posing with artifacts (including the whole and very breakable artifact our client handed Nik for the photo!)

1 comment:

Joby and Marla said...

Nik's mom has such an interesting job :) He will think it is cool once he is a little older!!!!!